Lancashire Living Building Challenge
We are looking for a volunteer interested in environmental materials and community development to support us in achieving the first Living Building Challenge certified development in the UK. The Living Building Challenge is the built environment’s most rigorous performance standard. It calls for the creation of building projects at all scales that operate as cleanly, beautifully and efficiently as nature’s architecture. The Visitor Centre at CVP is the first building in the UK working towards this standard. Designed by Straw Works, it is a hybrid of loadbearing straw and timber frame, made entirely of natural materials including straw, timber, cedar shingles, lime plaster, smartply, sheepswool and hemp and is being built by the volunteers of CVP with Straw Works running courses and providing construction support.
As development progresses on the new Visitor Centre building we need to track and log all materials used throughout the construction process and ensure they meet the exacting standards of the Living Building Challenge requirements.
This role will be focused on the completion of a detailed spreadsheet along with interaction with suppliers across the country. In addition the thinking, approaches and data from the project can be used, with appropriate permissions, within your research, dissertations or papers. Unique Opportunity. Involvement with this project offers a truly unique opportunity;
- Participation with potentially the greenest building in the UK, the 1st UK Living Building Challenge project.
- Working with the UK foremost advocates who are pushing the boundaries of green build towards a restorative, just and healthy sustainable future.
- Discover, first hand, more about the Living Building Challenge, related programmes and topics such as biophilic design.
Tasks will include:
- Compiling a detailed information set on all materials used in the design, construction, and operation of the visitor centre.
- Following up details necessary to complete the spreadsheet required for submission to the Living Building Challenge to allow accreditation.
- Liaising with suppliers and manufacturers to ensure accurate details, as well as encouraging uptake of the Living Building Challenge for future development opportunities across the UK.
- Updating team members with necessary information and researching alternative materials prior to inclusion in the development.
- Ensuring the spreadsheet is backed up, secure and disseminated at regular intervals.
- A commitment for details, and environmental work.
- Some experience of materials or building construction.
- Interest, experience or knowledge of conservation and/or community development work
- A good working knowledge of MS-Excel
Ideally we would be looking for someone who could offer 5 days per week in volunteer time for a minimum of 3 months between June and September. However, we are open to suggestions for any time you can offer. Working from home or through time spent in the office.
Client: Cuerden Valley Park Trust
Design & Construction Support: Straw Works
Living Building Challenge Support: Fairsnape
Sustainability Support: Green & Castle.
Applications to email@example.com